Well friends, I figured it was time to let you in on where we are in our adoption journey! Tim and I received a call on Tuesday, May 24th that we had been chosen by birthfamily to be the potential parents for their baby! I think I laughed and cried at the same time when I heard the words, "We are calling to tell you that you have been chosen"!! We immediately made plans with the agency to go and meet them. Talk about nervous... what if they decide they don't like us, what if we run out of things to talk about, what if they don't show up, what should we bring as a gift? Our prayer for that day was that God would give us and them the same feeling of peace about the adoption. I was terrified that we would meet them and fall in love with them, and have them decide we weren't the right choice. God really answered our prayer! The meeting went great, and they were such a sweet couple who truly wanted to do what they feel is best for their baby. To have this young birthfather sit across from us and explain that they love their baby so much that they are choosing to sacrifice their desires in order to give the baby the life he deserves brought tears to my eyes. He perfectly defined adoption. Adoption is an amazing gift that a birthfamily gives their child when they know that they aren't equipped to be parents. It is done purely out of love, and not out of laziness or selfishness.
Nothing is set in stone right now. Birthparents cannot sign over their rights to the baby until 48 hours after birth. They still have plenty of time to change their minds, but after talking to our director during our homestudy today, she feel like they are standing very firm in their decision to pursue adoption. Please join us in prayer for this young couple who is trying to make a very hard decision in the next week or so!! Pray that God's will would be accomplished in the lives of all involved! This couple told us that they are not Christians, but that they wanted their baby to grow up in a Christian family since Christians were supposed to be good people. Pray that we reflect Christ in all of our actions in dealing with this couple. Pray that our lives would be a witness to them during this time, regardless of what they choose in the end. Pray that God would give us all peace and hope in Him during these next couple weeks! I guess what I'm trying to say is "Please PRAY!!"
Here are some specifics if you are interested ;)
They are having a BOY! His first name will be Cody (given to him by his birthparents) and his middle name, assuming they move forward with adoption, will be Jeremiah (given to him by his adoptive parents, us). We will probably work on incorporating another middle name for him if his birthparents choose to pick one. She is tentatively scheduled for induction on June 17th (yes, as in ONE WEEK from tomorrow). We are going to meet up with them again this weekend to continue to build our relationship. After that, we wait. We will find out this weekend whether or not they want us to be at the hospital after his birth. We want to be very respectful of the short amount of time they have with him before placing him in our arms, so the decision is fully up to them. After Cody is born, we wait again..... those 48 hours will be some of the hardest in our lives. Being a mother myself, I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to make that final decision. I have said from the beginning that, although I would be heartbroken, I wouldn't blame her one bit if she changed her mind!! I will try to let you know when that 48 hour window begins so you can be joining us in prayer!
Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support! God, no matter what happens, let Your name be glorified!!